Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Parallel Pavillion


Hey, long time no see! It's been a while since I've last posted, I've basically moved in to the studio for the past 2 weeks, and had no life outside of that. But, it's what I signed up for, so I can't really complain! Anyway, thought I'd update you all on what I've been doing there!

We were given a project 2 weeks ago, which called for us to design a pavilion. For those of you who aren't in the architecture world, and therefore don't hear all of the often made-up vocabulary we throw around (like "horizontality"? In fact, not a word.), a pavilion is basically architecture-speak for "no actual purpose or function, other than to be a good little building, stand there, and look pretty". This seems like a great thing for a designer (no limitations, woohoo!), but in fact, this makes designing something incredibly difficult. So then what we did was, well, interesting.



Totally looks architecture-y, right?
What we had to do was pick 6 random areas in the studio, and draw them, fairly quickly. Here's the one I liked the most:

Just call me Frank Lloyd Wright.
Then from here, we turned these into line, shape, and value drawings. What are those, you ask? Well you're in luck, because I'm about to show you.
C'mon, the building is practically building itself.
Here's some close-ups:
Line

Shape
Value

Then we took those, and developed them into "parti" diagrams. These essentially you can think of as very simple ideas of floor plans or elevations. Mine looked like this:
I really hope you guys like pictures.
 And then that was developed further:
And short sentences separating the aforementioned pictures.
Okay, so now we've got what looks kinda floor plan-ish. Where do we go from here? Study models. After a few attempts at an idea, here's what I came up with:

In case you can't tell from the picture, the walls are slanted, and the building looks basically like a parallelogram, with a smaller corresponding one next to it. This slant in the walls came from my earlier pictures, which I will remind you of now.
Remember me? It's been so long.
This idea was repeated throughout the whole building, including the shape of the windows. After further development of the ideas, I made a 2-pt perspective rendering of the project, which looked something like this:

Actually, it looked pretty much exactly like this.
What, you want MORE pictures?

Okay fine, maybe just one more...

And so after a long while of meticulously measuring (nahh), checking safety codes (zoning what?), and analyzing the building site (pshh), I came up with a final model. Throughout the project, I had it in mind for the building to function as a gallery space, with a large outdoor area for galas or other swank get-togethers. What can I say, I'm a classy man.
Just call me Ron Burgundy
Anyway, check it out, let me know what you guys think of it!



 



Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment